What becomes of the church in a rapidly changing world?

I just viewed a video on YouTube called Did You Know 2009. (I am writing this on my blog, and the link won't carry over to Facebook; but a search for "Did You Know 2009" will call up the video.) Very interesting! And overwhelming. The video made me feel anxious. It’s astounding how radically and quickly our world is changing. I couldn’t help but ask, “What becomes of the church in this changing world?” My thought is that the church, if it is going to do well, will get out of big buildings and onto ground level… away from clever programs and into concrete displays of God’s love. The only thing that will cut through the anxiety of disruptive change is what is truly transcendent about the church – God’s love, which has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit (Rom 5:5). Change produces anxiety, and anxiety forces us back to the core of the faith, which is exhibiting the love of Christ in very real, unprogrammed ways.

In our changing world, less is more, and smaller is bigger.

Comments

Popular Posts

Why I have no hope of going to heaven

Ten essential Dallas Willard quotes

Connecting with God when it feels like nothing special is happening

Sympathy for the mocking Roman soldiers

A test of your relationship with God